Good quality content is the lifeblood of any website. If you can produce good quality content then you WILL attract visitors to your website. You also stand a much better chance of converting them into paying customers too. Surprisingly, there are actually very sites out there who actually put top content on their website. There are far too many webmasters out there who will throw up any old thing and call it a day. Guess what? This is going to cost them money. I know you are not as silly as those though. After all, you have stumbled across this page. It shows that you have at least an inkling about how important good quality content is
Now, there are TONS of people out there who feel as though they can’t write. Trust me. You can. If you know English well enough then you CAN write. Writing good quality content is actually FAR easier than writing at school. Trust me on that one. If you can open up a Word Processor then you can write. Hopefully these tips will give you a nice nudge in the right direction.
Write Unique Content
I want to kick off these tips with one of the most vital of all; write unique content. Now, I do not mean coming up with a completely new topic on your own (although if you can do that, it would be brilliant). Instead I mean ensuring that your article is different from anything else you will read online. It needs your own unique spin. It NEEDS to be written in ‘your voice’.
One of the WORST things you can do when you are writing content is to go out there and snatch sentences and even whole paragraphs from other websites. There are a couple of reasons for this:
- If you are operating in a small niche then it is highly likely somebody would have seen that information before. If they recognize you stole it then they simply will leave. You will forever be known as a fraud. This is not a good title to have by any stretch of the imagination.
- Secondly, and this is perhaps the most important, it will RUIN your SEO (search engine optimization). You see, search engines like Google will completely ignore ‘stolen’ content. This means that no matter how good it is, you just won’t get ranked.
It honestly is not too difficult to write unique content. Just use multiple research sources (more on that soon) and you should be fine! I am going to discuss how you can come up with ‘unique’ ideas for content in the final section.
If you know your niche well then you MAY (not always) be able to skip this. You want to make sure that absolutely everything is researched IN DEPTH! Use multiple research sources so you actually get facts on your websites. Do not post something unless it is mentioned in 2 or 3 different places. You stick up false content and people will loathe you.
Do Not Focus on SEO so Much
One of my biggest pet peeves is the amount of webmasters out there who will SEO their content to hell. Sure, you may climb up the search engines like this, but you certainly are not going to be converting any of those website visitors into paying customers. People want to read something that actually sounds natural. They do not want it to be jarred by stupidly placed keywords. This will throw them off. A recent study showed that even the simplest error like this could cause somebody to leave your website quickly.
So, what about your SEO? Well, if you write content properly then it should end up pepper-potted with natural keyword phrases anyway. If you want to add keywords in place, and I actively suggest you do in some cases, then do make sure that it sounds natural. You are writing for people. You are not writing for machines.
Couple of Ideas for Content
Perhaps one of the MOST DIFFICULT parts of writing content for websites is actually coming up with the initial idea. Now, obviously I do not know what niche you are in. However, I want to finish up with a couple of generic ideas for content types. I am sure you will be able to work with this to come up with something that could potentially work for your site:
- The ‘How To’ article: If you are looking for a decent bit of link bait then that How To article is the way to go. As you can probably guess from the name, this article is all about walking somebody through something specific in a ‘step-by-step’ format. I am sure that no matter what your niche is, you will be able to come up with a ‘how to’ article of some description. It is likely that the bulk of your articles will be in the ‘How To’ train of thought.
- Definition Articles: Does your niche have a number of complex terms that people may not know the meaning of? A definition article is the way to go. Go into depth on a complex term. If you know your niche well then this should not be too difficult.
- Discussion Articles: This may be a little bit difficult to pull off and it MAY NOT suit every single niche. The idea here is to discuss something relevant to the industry. For example, if you blog about politics then you may put forth your own ideas on something that a particular politician said. Controversial reviews WILL attract a lot of visits.
- News: If you are going to go down the news route then make sure that it is 100% unique.
- List Articles: You know the type. These are the ‘top 10’ lists! People love reading these.
Perhaps one of the best tips I can offer you here is to go around and see what your competitors do. See which content tends to attract the highest amount of praise. Do not copy their ideas obviously. However see what they do right and try to mimic them. There is no point reinventing the wheel, right?
Honestly, there is not a lot to writing content. You just need that idea and you need to write it. Providing you proof read over and over again, edit where needed, and create something worth reading and 100% unique you should not have too many problems.
Stay tuned we will be back with more amazing content and with more information in how to write good content for your web property! We will strive to provide you with amazing information in how to improve your website optimization.